God reveals Himself in Creation and the Word in Psalm 19. In other words God speaks to us through Creation and His Word.
It is actually amazing that God speaks to us at all, even though people have no desire to listen to God, in general, let alone to do His will. Yet God continues to speak.
God speaks to us in 3 ways:
1. God Speaks In the Skies – (vss.1-6)
God’s wisdom and power and glory are seen in His creation.
* Day an Night God’s creation is speaking (vs. 2); but this speech is not heard with our human ears.
* We “hear” God’s voice in creation by seeing His wisdom and power.
* Nature preaches 1000 sermons a day to the hearts of men and women.
But unfortunately people don’t care or do not want to see or hear.
C.S. Lewis wrote about this Psalm the following:
“I take this to be the greatest poem in the Psalms and one of the greatest in the world.”
2. God Speaks in the Bible – (vss.7-11)
Yes. “the heavens declare God’s glory,” but the Bible declares His love and His grace. Apostle Paul writing to Jews said:
“In the past God spoke to our forefathers through the prophets at many times and in various ways, but in these last days he has spoken to us by the Son, whom he appointed heir of all this and through whom he made the universe.” (Hebrews 1:1-2)
* The Bible is the perfect law, there is no error in the Bible, either in historical fact or in spiritual truth.
* The Bible is the beath of God. His word does not change.
* “The precepts of the Lord are right” His rules are for our daily living.”
Some worldly rules are wrong rules; But God’s Word is always right, obeying the Word of God brings blessings to daily life.
* “The fear of the Lord is pure.” The Word of God is pure because it reflects with great intensity the person and character of God.
* “More Precious than Gold.” The word of God is like gold, fine gold.
* The Word’s of God “are sweeter than honey.” The word of God is compared to honey with it’s desirable taste.
The Word of God satisfies the spiritual appetite of those who come to Him and trust Him.
What does the Word of God Do?
1. Converts – Restores. Four Chapters later (ch.23) we read: “He restores my soul, He guides me in paths of righteousness” The Word of God transforms, changes the lost person in sin.
2. The Word of God makes us wise. In James 1:5 we read: “If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him.”
3. The Word of God bring joy. The true believer finds joy in the Word of God.
4. The Word of God Enlightens. “Your Words give light” Ps. 119:130.
5. The Word of God – The Bible – Endures Other books fade away and are forgotten; but God’s Word endures.
6. The Word of God Enriches. It is better then gold and silver.
7. The Word of God Satisfies, Honey satisfies the body; But the Word of God satisfies the Soul.
8. The Word of God Warns. “By them is your servant warned.” (v.11) It is better to prevent sin and avoid trouble then to remedy the consequences. Knowing the Word of God and obeying it guides the believer on the safe path.
9. The Rewards of obeying God and His Commends are: A clean conscience, a pure heart, joy, peace, answered prayers. Verse 11 says: “In keeping them there is great reward.” Money cannot buy the rewards of godly life.
3. God Speaks in the Soul (vss.12-14)
No one can understand his or her own heart. The great prophet Jeremiah said: “I the LORD search the heart and examine the mind, to reward a man according to his conduct, according to what his deeds deserve.” Jeremiah 17:10
We need the Word of God to reveal our sins to us. Sin should not have a hold over us.
“Keep your servant also from wilful sins, may they not rule over me. Then will I be blameless, innocent of great transgression.” Psalm 19:13
It is by an accumulation of the little secret sins that a person gradually walks into the great sin.
It is very important that we confess sins immediately and ask God’s forgiveness.
The prayer of verse 14 “May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O LORD , my Rock and my Redeemer” is my personal prayer since I was a child.
This prayer should be on our lips and in our heart all day long.
Ask God to help you and enable you to love His Word, Live in it and Obey it, and He will bless you.